Top 10 Reasons To Do A CrossFit Throwdown:
10. You’re a sadist and like to see people suffer in pain; except you will be suffering with them…which brings us to 9.
9. You’re a masochist and like to put yourself through pain; except it’s not the kind of pain that makes you antisocial. So we have to disregard 9 and 10. CrossFit is most definitely social and it’s a great place to meet some awesome people…sorry I gave away 8.
8. It’s an incredibly social event where you meet all kinds of people, from all walks of life.
7. You may even meet the person of your dreams—most likely not, I’m a romantic so I had to add it.
6. But you will make new friends. I met Liz Mellen the owner of CrossFit Medusa last year at CrossFit Southie. In the mile run I caught her and passed her only to have her catch me and pass me as we neared the finish. This got us talking afterwards and now I consider her to be a dear friend. Pretty damn awesome!
5. You will connect on a deeper level with the athletes from your box. As they cheer you on you will feel your community pride. It’s a great feeling and it’s what makes CrossFit so frickin great. Community!
4. You will test out new skills and conquer PRs that have been taunting you for some time.
3. You will fail a rep or a lift and find out that the world still goes round and round. Your community will still be standing cheering you on and backing you up. In other words, it’s ok to fail. In fact it’s what makes us better in the end.
2. You will do better then you think. Yes, you will. I go to competitions without knowing how I will do and I’m always amazed that I got through it, kept my cool under pressure and had a blast.
1. You will feel like a beastly person who can get through anything. Resiliency is a quality I believe CrossFit teaches. Bad things happen in life and bad people happen…you have to keep going. You have to know you have a community of people who back you. If you put in an honest days work great things will happen. There will be foolish people who creep in to your surrounding but because you have high standards of integrity and character you will be fine.
All that from one little competition! Who would have thought you could get so much? So, come on, try it. If I can do it, you can. Here are a few competitions to consider competing in or going to cheer on your fellow athletes:
CrossFit Southie Showdown
November 9th and 10th
It’s this weekend and we have Carla Bezold and Coach Tito competing. It’s a fun one to watch!
Go to the following site for more details: CrossFit Southie Showdown
CrossFit Lando –Battle of The Sexes
This is for the serious competitor! They have standards you have to meet in order to compete: Clean and Jerk (Grace weight), Toes to Bar, Handstand Pushups (Regionals “box” standard), Pullups, KB Swings 53/35, Double Unders, Squat Snatch (115/75, low reps)
We have a few CrossFit Boston athletes attending this one. So far we have Nigel and CJ signing up! If you think you can hang with this group then consider signing up.
Go to the following site to register and let Coach G2 know you are participating!
North Shore CrossFit ~ Not Your Average Joes Team Competition
This one is a must because North Shore CrossFit is a great place, with awesome people. We went out there this summer and had a great time.
Join North Shore CrossFit for our 3rd Annual “Not Your Average Joe’s” Team Competition! This is a FUN event that is strategically programmed, allowing most “average joe” crossfitters to participate! Bring your A-Game for this challenging competition!
Teams of 4: 2 Males/2 Females (team members must train at the same gym)
Three workouts! Basic standards to be announced, and WODs will be announced 24 hours prior to the event!
Registration link will be active this weekend!
PRIZES AWARDED TO THE TOP 3 TEAMS!!!
CrossFit Boston ~ In House Throwdown
December 14 ~ Saturday
This is our Holiday Throwdown. Instead of morning classes we will have heats that go off at 9 am. Scaled divisions first, followed by our Rx athletes. You can bring a friend from another box if you want to get a little more social.
CrossFit Boston ~ Renegade Rowing Crash Bs Testing!
This event will follow the regular scheduled classes for any one interested in testing their skills for the Crash B’s. Coach Pat will be running the show. Members from other boxes will be participating.
And did I mention yet that there is something BIG, very BIG coming to CrossFit Boston on January 4th. It will be announced in the next few weeks…stay tuned!
That’s all for now athletes. And remember your mobility everyday. It makes the difference, keeps away the injuries and helps restore your youthful muscles to a supple state!