09 Sep 2014
No one that I know of, other than the usual suspects!
We did, however, have a wonderful Sunday morning class filled with donuts, cider, and a whole lot of community! Nearly forty members, past and present, joined in welcoming Dave L. and Nigel C. into their golden years and it was AWESOME! Alright, back to gossip and rumors!
Do you want to work on your pull-ups? Well, after class every Tuesday, you have an opportunity to do exactly that! If you’re inspired to get more pull-ups in your arsenal, take a look at the 20 pull-ups program, here:
I will print out that PDF and post it on one of our boards. This week will be “Week -2″ in the PDF. If you already have three or more pull-ups, then just sit back and rest on your laurels for the next two weeks. If you don’t, please follow the programming for “Week -2″ in the PDF!
Who’s up for a Spartan Race at Fenway Park? Linh N. and Chrissy S. are looking for people to run a Spartan Race with on Saturday, November 15th. If you sign up using the following link, Linh will get some kind of benefit, though it’s unclear exactly what that benefit is!
02 Sep 2014
Hey guys! How was your Labor Day weekend? Mine was awesome. I got a chance to relax, see Tiff, DJ a former member‘s wedding, and witness a full house at CFB tackle Fight Gone Bad! Talk about inspiring!
In any case, this coming Sunday, we will be taking on the Filthy Fifty in honor of Nigel C.’s and Dave L.’s birthdays. I’ll be spinning some awesome WOD jams and there will be food/drink/merriment afterwards. There may even be some panda dogs running about, but I’ll make no promises! If you’re interested in taking a plate of Soul Fire BBQ to the face, please email me at [email protected] Food will be a mere five bucks ($5) per plate.
Also, I’d like to provide an update on the in-house throwdown that we’re having on Saturday, September 27th. There is a sign-up sheet posted on the events section of the white board. So far, we have twenty-four slots filled so it means we only have six slots remaining! Again, this throwdown is meant to be a fun event rather than a super-competitive event, so definitely sign up if you’re on the fence. We’ve got a couple of sponsors lined up (including RacePak, Via Privé, and Progenex), so the winning team will get some neat prizes!
A More Chipper Eleven Point OneComplete as many rounds and reps as possible in 12 minutes of:60 kb swings (American, Red/Green) (Russian, Black/Blue)45 Sit-Ups30 Double-unders or 30 singles15 Power snatches (75#/ 55#) (45#/33#)
1. Partners MAY work at the same time2. All movements must be completed in listed order3. All reps must be completed before moving on to next movement4. Each partner must complete at least one-third of the reps of each movement5. These conditions may change after loop-holes are discovered.
26 Aug 2014
Hey Everyone! Just thought I’d provide an update on some events you may be interested in checking out:
1. Friday, August 30th at 6 PM – Our very own Joe Mathias will be presenting a clarinet recital in the Marshall Room of the Boston University Campus (855 Commonwealth Avenue, 2nd Floor).
2. Monday, September 1st – There will be one class at 9 AM.
3. Sunday, September 7th – On this glorious day in place of (and extending beyond) the 9:30 class, we shall celebrate the ascension of two of our more venerable members into their golden years! Both Nigel Costolloe and Dave Lapidus will be kicking off their 50th year with a very special edition of the Filthy Fifty WOD. The programming for the day will be the Filthy Fifty, there will be food from Soul Fire BBQ available for purchase ($5 cash per plate), music by me, and there are rumors that there will be additional beverages provided. Drop me at line at [email protected] if you are interested in a plate of BBQ.
4. Saturday, September 13th – At 4 PM, our very own Candy Saunders will be roller derbying her butt off in Wilmington. I’ve seen a couple of bouts and it’s awesome! https://www.facebook.com/events/877739245588591/
5. Saturday, September 27th – Are you ready for our in-house throwdown? Over the last week, I’ve been letting folks in classes know that the event is going to be a 2-person TEAM throwdown. So far, we have about a dozen people signed up to participate and my goal is to have fifteen teams. In terms team formation, we would like to mix things up as much as possible. We’d like to pair Rx athletes with scaled athletes, newer members with “older” members, morning class attendees with evening class attendees, etc. What will the WODs, you may be asking? Excellent question! Here’s the first one:
WOD #1: Bulgar Wheat
10 Minutes to complete:
500m Row each
20 Burpee Lateral Jumps each
AMRAP Squat Cleans (135/95) or (95/65)
1. One rower per team, movements must be performed in order
2. Partner #1 can perform burpees and squat cleans while Partner #2 rows
3. When 1000m row is completed, only one partner can work at a time
It’s sure to be a great time, so sign up with the link below!
Peace and bacon grease,
19 Aug 2014
So, you’ve just destroyed the WOD and you’ve recovered enough to realize that your classmates are still plugging away at the WOD. What do you do first?
(A) Write my time on the board
(B) Clean up my gear
(C) Gossip with members of the next class
(D) Cheer on the members of my class
The correct answer is D! We cheer on our fellow compatriots until they are done with their WOD. That’s great, Mickey, but I wasn’t a cheerleader in high school or college so I don’t know how to cheer. Well, grasshopper, thank goodness I have some tips on cheering for you!
1. Be positive! Use positive language rather than negative language. In the Level 1 certs, they teach us that when we say “Don’t stop” all the athlete hear’s is “Stop.” So, rather than say “don’t stop,” we should cheer people on with “keep moving” and “you’re doing awesome.”
2. Help athletes remained uncapped mentally. There are studies that show that when marathon runners are told that they’re “almost done” they actually start slowing down in anticipation of being finished. The takeaway of the study was that the body goes where the mind leads and if the mind hears that it’s almost done, it will inform the body to slow down. In Crossfit, the end of WODs is often where we are pushing ourselves and improving our conditioning. The worst, of course, is being told that you’re almost done when you actually have another full round (or more!) to complete!
3. Do aerial tricks. It may be hard to believe, but in a double-blind controlled study performed by Leland Stanfurd Junior University researchers, it was proven beyond a doubt that Crossfitters finished 25% faster when their fellow classmates cheered them on with backflips, cartwheels, and other cheers that involved the cheerleaders leaving the ground. Why do this? SCIENCE!
In any case, you guys have been killing it in the gym this summer and I’m looking forward to seeing those backflips soon!
Peace and bacon grease,
P.S. Who’s interested in heading out to the Tsongas Arena to check out the NPGL, where Crossfitters will get all sweaty and swole? Email me at [email protected] if you’re interested. I propose we leave CFB Sunday afternoon at 1 PM.
P.P.S. Don’t forget to sign up for our In-House Throwdown on Saturday, September 27th! We’ve already got a bunch of participants and so far, the women account for more than 70% of the field. GENTLEMEN, START YOUR ENGINES!
17 Aug 2014
Hey guys! As we work on our goats, I’m in charge of ensuring that our pull-ups are in a state of constant improvement. Beginning in September, you will have the option of working on pull-ups every Tuesday after (or before) class. Over the next few weeks, please determine how many strict pull-ups you can currently do to figure out which level you are in. Here are those levels:
12 Aug 2014
It’s that time of year again where we test our fitness against those that we WOD with every day… Our In-House Throwdown will take place on Saturday, September 27th, so clear those calendars! This is a great opportunity for some friendly competition and lots of fun. We’ll have both scaled and Rx divisions available, so whether you’re a seasoned competitor or a first-timer, this is a great event for everyone to participate in.
Our plan is to run heats of the competition from 9am to 1 or 2pm in the afternoon. The exact timeline may change depending on the number of competitors we get to sign up, but we expect to wrap the competition up early in the afternoon so we have time for some fun activities and a cookout afterwards. It is guaranteed to be a fun day, and we hope you all can join us!
Don’t want to compete but still want to be involved? Awesome, we need your help! We’ll need lots of judges and volunteers to help the day run smoothly. If you can lend a hand, we’d very much appreciate it.
As we get closer to the event, we will release more details and workouts. For now, take a look at the standards below, see which division you fall into, and get signed up! We’re very excited about getting as many people as possible involved this year. Get pumped!
Rx Division: Thrusters 95/65, Snatches 115/75, Toes to Bar, Double Unders, Unassisted Pull Ups, Wall Balls 20/14 to a 10′ target
Scaled Division: Thrusters 65/35, Snatches 75/45, AbMat Situps, Single Unders, Blue Band Pull Ups, Wall Balls 14/10 to 10′ target
What: CrossFit Boston In-House Throwdown
When: Saturday, September 27th
Where: Here! CrossFit Boston
NB: Most of the content of this post was lovingly borrowed from our friends at CrossFit Southie.
08 Aug 2014
Hey guys! Our Buffalo wing gathering is on for this Sunday at 4 PM at
Silvertone (69 Bromfield Street, Downtown) Buff’s Pub (317 Washington Street, Newton). For those without cars, we can meet at the gym at 3:30 and carpool in together. If you haven’t yet emailed me to let me know you’re coming, please do so at [email protected] Also, I’m curious to see how many people would be interested in snagging a classic CFB05 t-shirt (and in what colors and sizes), should they become available again. Comment away!
05 Aug 2014
Thanks to everyone for their #PostWOD activity ideas! Of note are four suggestions put forth by Juan Carlos and Rory:
1. #PostWOD recovery shakes at JC’s Cambridge home – Delicious!
2. A weekend trip up to JC’s house in New Hampshire, featuring access to a lake, an indoor pool, and biking/running trails – SIGN ME UP!
3. Eating buffalo wings. I’m SRSLY down for this. I propose we get together at Silvertone this Sunday afternoon at 4 PM to munch on some Buffalo Wings and down some frosty brews. Who’s in? Comment below or email me at [email protected]
4. A flag football team — Could CFB parlay its appearance in the softball playoffs into flag football dominance?!
Here is the events roll call for the next few weeks:
• Sunday, August 10th at 4 PM – Buffalo Wings at Silverton (69 Bromfield Street, Beacon Hill)
• Wednesday, August 13th from 6 – 10 PM – Our very own Evan Michael Coniglio will be playing Rat Pack night at the Boston Harbor Hotel’s Summer in the City Series
• Saturday, August 16th – Hike the Whites (email pat@crossfitboston to sign up!)
• Sunday, September 7th at 9 AM- Nigel and Dave’s Filthy Fifty Birthday Celebration
• Saturday, September 13th from 4 to 11 PM – Watch our very own Boston Derby Dame Candy Saunders kick @$$ in a Boston Roller Derby Bout!
• Sunday, September 21st – CrossFit Fenway’s Third Annual Beantown Throwdown
• Saturday, September 27th from 9 AM to 2 PM – Our very own in-house throwdown!
Please let me know if you have any other events that you are participating in and I’ll post them here! There have also been a bunch of spontaneous gatherings that have been formed over on our super-secret, yet completely-inclusive Facebook page. If you are not yet a member of this secret group and would like to be, please message me and I’ll get you set up.
29 Jul 2014
Welcome to my inaugural blog post! Every Tuesday, I’ll be providing updates on what’s happening post-WOD in the gym and today I’ve got two great save-the-dates to share. First, though, did you know that in 2014, Buffalo Wings will turn 50? According to this entry in Mental Floss, they were invented in 1964 at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, New York, when the restaurant was faced with an over-supply of chicken wings. Why are we talking about Buffalo Wings? Because like Buffalo Wings, two of our members will also turn fifty this year!
On Sunday, September 7th, we will celebrate the birthdays of members Nigel Costolloe and Dave Lapidus with the Filthy Fifty and there are sure to be some surprises along the way. Come for the great workout, stay for the beers, grub, and good-humored ribbing of the birthday couple about their advanced years.