FIRE IT UP! FIRE IT UP! Friday 21, 2013
2014 Reebok CrossFit Games Open
The 2014 Reebok CrossFit Games Open is less than 1 WEEK away. This is an exciting part of the year because it challenges everyone to compete and competition makes everyone better. It just does. We push harder. We perform in ways we didn’t think we could. We learn so much about our abilities and areas that we still need to improve. It’s the ultimate test over the course of 5 weeks.
For me as an affiliate owner, it serves two purposes: community building and feedback on the programming being done for the gym.
Lets start with the latter. CrossFit is defined as functional movements, constantly varied, performed at high intensity. That allows a broad interpretation of program design that can be considered CrossFit. How do I ensure that what I am programming is working to make you, the members, more fit? Thankfully Coach Glassman went on to define fitness further as improving work capacity across broad time and modal domains. Meaning, the ability to perform more work (force X distance ./. time) across very short workouts to much longer workouts with the numerous functional movements CrossFit employs. He even went further and defined fitness 3-dimensionally by including age. Are we increasing work capacity across broad time and modal domains as we continue to get older?
The Open is a test of this exactly. It is free of any biases I may have and we can and do repeat it throughout the year.
Community, each year The Open brings members closer together as we all share this common experience. I equate it to 4th of July “Murph” every Friday of the week. Everyone has the opportunity to meet new faces and cheer each other on. The energy is electric and the effort is “All In”. At the end of the night there is usually a group hanging around and sharing their perspectives of what happened, how to improve, where to go eat after. It’s always fun to see.
This year we will be running The Open WOD every Friday. If you are registered you will be judged and given a score sheet each week. If you are hopeful you may qualify for Regionals your workout needs to be videotaped and your judge must have passed the CrossFit Judges course. Get ready and FIRE IT UP!!!
What’s On Tap
The programming for the next five weeks will continue to be a high intensity followed with skill work. Be sure to continue hitting your L-sit holds on your own in addition to plank holds and hollow rocks.
3 Rounds for time
50 Double unders
10 Back squats, 135/100
10 Deadlift, 135/100
10 Bar facing burpees
bar must start from the floor for the back squats. overhead and on the shoulders in any fashion without assistance from a rack
Complete for time reps of 21-15-9
Hand release Push ups
This workout is to be performed like a relay event. First person completes 21 reps of the deadlift and then the second person immediately begins his/her reps. When both are finished with 21 deadlift, the first athlete takes off on the 500m run. Athlete 2 takes off when Athlete 1 is finished. When both are finished with the run, Athlete 1 begins his/her push ups, then athlete 2. Continue the above for 15 reps and then again for 9 reps.
1. EMOM 12 – 2 Power snatch + 2 Overhead squat
2. Ring dips – 3 x max reps; rest 2:00
3. Double unders – 3 x max reps; rest 2:00
1. keep the weight moderate to light focusing on speed and efficient bar path
2. Intermediate and beginners may use bands for assistance on static or box dips but NO kipping
1. Front Squat – 7×2
2. Row as far as you can in 12 minutes
1. Work up to a challenging weight and then perform 7 sets of 2 reps at that weight.
2. Aim to maintain a +4 seconds of your 2k pace or faster.
1. AMRAP 10
10 Power clean, 115/75
5 Chest to bar pull ups
2. Toe 2 Bar – 3 x max reps, rest 2:00
3. Thruster – 3 x 25 unbroken, 75/55; rest 2:00
1. Burpees games standard. Power clean from the floor.
2. If scaled then perform 3 x 10 at best progression able
3. Scale the load if necessary to perform the 25 reps unbroken
1. Shoulder press – 5 x 3
2. Box jumps – 3×20 unbroken, 24/20; 2:00 rest
3. Deadlift – 3×15 touch and go, 135/95; 2:00 rest
1. Work up to a challenging weight. Then perform 5 sets of 3 reps at that weight.
2. Games standard (stand up in full extension on the top of the box)
2014 Reebok CrossFit Games Open WOD 14.1